ssh-agent type utility for gnupg

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Thu Feb 27 04:04:03 CET 2003

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

| On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 05:34:11PM +1000, Greg Black wrote:
| > Sadly, this is bad news -- this one does not build on FreeBSD as
| > it stands and now that I've spent several hours jumping through
| > hoops in vain attempts to get it sorted out, I'm going to forget
| > about it.
|
| Can't be a big issue.  Sad to hear that you spent hours on this instead just
| reporting it.

I wasted the time because there was no easy way to decide where
to report it.  The pinentry program was the initial problem, as
FreeBSD (and probably lots of other systems) failed the initial
configure because it lacks a function:

    checking for fopencookie... no
    configure: error:
    ***
    *** fopencookie(3) is needed to build this package.
    *** We will provide an replacement in a later release.
    ***

The rest of the time was wasted in the FreeBSD ports stuff
trying to build other bits and pieces but failing because
patches were broken in all sorts of strange ways and so on.

In the end, I decided to wait until I could at least just run
the configure script -- and that seems to mean waiting until
somebody decides to either provide a replacement for this
fopencookie(3) thing (or else stops using it, which seems like a
much smarter option).

My apologies for not providing this information in the first
place.

Greg