Changing GPGME's license

Gordon Worley redbird at mac.com
Sun Jul 20 05:46:02 CEST 2003

On Friday, July 18, 2003, at 09:44  AM, Werner Koch wrote:

> I'd still hold up my reasoning if GPGME would be just one library to
> do foo stuff.  But GnuPG (and thus GPGME) is more than just some Free
> Software tool for processing data.  Based on PGP, GnuPG is also
> important for ensuring the right to communicate privately over
> computers without the fear of being spied on.  Especially these days
> it is again more and more important to have means to secure ones own
> communication.

One of the hardest things I've had to face convincing people to use the
GPGME.framework wrapper is that they have to GPL their software to do
it.  Many users want ubiquitous access to features of OpenPGP in their
network applications, but it isn't there because non-GPL compatible
software on Mac OS X (and GNUStep, I suppose, though I don't know how
their Objective-C libraries are licensed, so I can't comment too much)
can't use our frameworks without changing their licenses.  And maybe
this wouldn't be so bad, but on the Mac there's a long tradition of
non-free software that is going to take a long time to overcome.  We've
made great strides since the days before Mac OS X, but there's still
more software released under closed rather than open licenses on the
platform.

I'd really like to see GPGME.framework used in every network
application I use.  I'd like cryptographic functions built in rather
than tacted onto the side with patches and system services.  And
everyone I've spoken to about it wants the same thing.  My problem is
developers.  They're willing to say "This product contains the GPGME
library.", but few are willing to completely abandon the closed source
model to add one feature.

I know that Werner wants to encourage free software, but I think that
in this case it will anyway.  GPGME uses GnuPG, so to use GPGME the
user will have to install GnuPG, exposing them to free software.  And,
maybe if developers see how great GPGME is, even though all its code is
given away for free, they'll be more inclined to switch to free
software.

If it's a matter of funds, I don't have oodles of money, but I'd be
willing to contribute to a fund to make GPGME LGPL so that we can push
it to Mac OS X developers.  I'm sure some of my users would be willing
to do the same.

--
Gordon Worley - Mac GPG Project
http://macgpg.sourceforge.net/              ``Doveriai no proveriai.''