Changing GPGME's license

Marcus Brinkmann marcus.brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun Jul 20 12:14:02 CEST 2003

On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 10:46:59PM -0400, Gordon Worley wrote:
> One of the hardest things I've had to face convincing people to use the
> GPGME.framework wrapper is that they have to GPL their software to do
> it.

This is simply not true, it only needs to be a GPL compatible license,
for example the reised BSD license (without advertisement clause) can be used.

> I know that Werner wants to encourage free software, but I think that
> in this case it will anyway.  GPGME uses GnuPG, so to use GPGME the
> user will have to install GnuPG, exposing them to free software.  And,
> maybe if developers see how great GPGME is, even though all its code is
> given away for free, they'll be more inclined to switch to free
> software.

Such effects certainly exist.  The problem is telling which effect is
stronger, and what the final outcome is all consequences combined.  Your
input from a MacOS developer point of view is helpful in getting a
more complete picture, thank you for that.

Marcus