Encrypt/decript large files

Eric Harlow linuxgeek at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 23 00:26:04 CEST 2003

Encrypting small files is no problem.  However, when I
try to encrypt/decrypt a large database backup on
Win2k, it appears to encrypt fine - but it's hard to
tell since when I try to decrypt the file, I get an
error.  The original file is slightly over 6 gigabytes
and will probably grow in time.  I've tried this
several different ways - symmetric keys, with and
without the --armor option and they all seem to give
me basically the same error.

C:\gpg>gpg --decrypt test2.asc > decrypt.avi

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: "NASD EFP test (Testing gpg) <harlowe at nasd.com>"
1024-bit ELG-E key, ID BA9F0893, created 2003-06-19
(main key ID F8C0FC92)

gpg: encrypted with 1024-bit ELG-E key, ID BA9F0893,
created 2003-06-19
      "Company test (Testing gpg) <fakename at co.com"
gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=1f)
gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=0f)
gpg: WARNING: encrypted message has been manipulated!
gpg: fatal: zlib inflate problem: invalid block type
secmem usage: 1408/3328 bytes in 2/9 blocks of pool
4256/32768

C:\gpg>