Feature request, Was: Re: --clearsign with file containing --

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Mar 19 09:40:01 CET 2003

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 01:52:26 +0100, 5468696A6D656E  said:

> In that case i would like a feature that displays (either with -v or
> with --status-fd) the hash which is used to sign data. I do not

When creating a signature, you get this status message:

	A signature has been created using these parameters.
	    type:  'D' = detached
		   'C' = cleartext
		   'S' = standard
		   (only the first character should be checked)
	    class: 2 hex digits with the signature class

It is required to correctly set the mic-algo parameter for PGP/MIME.
If you are receiving such a message, simply ignore mic-algo; it is
useless and only there due to the general MIME signing framework.  The
orginal idea of the mic-algo is to allow an application to calculate
the hash value for that MIME part; however, with OpenPGP it is more
complicate to do - you need the OpenPGP code to do this.

> Developers. would it be possible to have on a verbose (non-default)
> mode (like when using -v or --status-fd) that gpg will display
> which hash it uses when signing messages?

Hmmm, I don't think that it is of any use.  Hwoever, if it is really
required we can implement a newt status message to diaply information
about a signature.  Note, that ERRSIG already prints this information,
so by removing the public key to verify the signature you get what you
want - not the best solution I guess ;-)

Salam-Shalom,