Keylistings very slow in 1.2.2

Miguel Coca mcoca at gnu.org
Thu May 8 17:28:13 CEST 2003

Hi everybody,

I reported this yesterday as a Debian bug, but after compiling my own
builds of 1.2.1 and 1.2.2, I've realized it's not Debian specific.

In gpg 1.2.2, doing a --with-colons keylist takes over 30 times longer
than it used to in 1.2.1. I couldn't find anything in the release
notes about this, so I expect it's not a known effect of any change.
To copy my results from the debian bug report:

        $ gpg --version
        gpg (GnuPG) 1.2.1
        This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
        under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

        Home: ~/.gnupg
        Supported algorithms:
        Pubkey: RSA, RSA-E, RSA-S, ELG-E, DSA, ELG
        Cipher: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH
        Compress: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB
        $ time gpg --with-colons --with-fingerprint --list-keys >/dev/null

        real    0m0.679s
        user    0m0.480s
        sys     0m0.180s

The new version:

        $ gpg --version
        gpg (GnuPG) 1.2.2
        This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
        under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

        Home: ~/.gnupg
        Supported algorithms:
        Pubkey: RSA, RSA-E, RSA-S, ELG-E, DSA, ELG
        Cipher: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH
        Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB
        $ time gpg --with-colons --with-fingerprint --list-keys >/dev/null

        real    0m23.129s
        user    0m21.520s
        sys     0m1.590s

This has serious implications for GPA (and for any other frontend, I
think), since that command is always run at startup to display the
list of keys. Besides, a few days ago GPGME CVS dropped the key cache
it had, based on how fast keylisting was now. So this problem will
result in far slower reaction times for most operations from
frontends.

Hope this helps,
--
Miguel Coca (mcoca at gnu.org)                http://zipi.fi.upm.es/~e970095/