decrypt error

Jacob Solomon jacob at oztechsystems.com
Fri May 23 10:31:02 CEST 2003

I am having a problem related to decrypting gpg encrypted files. The error
occurs only during decryption. Here is the command we rung:

gpg --batch --passphrase-fd 0 --output xx.tar --decrypt mail.NGuWWe75wM <
cipher_file
gpg: AES256 encrypted data
gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=14)

The interesting part is that the above does produce an out file which is
identical to the source file, we verified this by doing md5 checksum on the
original file and the decrypted file. Most of the time we have no problems,
however, every so often, which can be every 1,000 or 30,000 crypt/decrypt
operations we get the above error/message. Also, once we get such error, if
we take the original file crypt it then decrypt we get the same error every
time. In addition, a similar error occurs when we try different ciphers.

Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks,
Jacob