Problem with C++ wrapper and gpgme

Robert J. Hansen cortana at earthlink.net
Mon May 26 21:39:03 CEST 2003

> For this, your best bet is parse the raw binary output of
> "gpg --list-keys".  If you don't parse the raw binary output, this is
> what will happen:

Unfortunately, the raw binary format is undocumented, near as I can
see.  Whereas with a --with-colons format, there's some documentation
for it (and even if there weren't, it'd be easy to figure out).  I'd
love to just parse the keydata directly, but at this point in the dev
cycle it's more sensible to do --with-colons.

For the C++ wrapper, GPGME is not used to generate the keyrings.  It's
just a raw dump of --list-keys --with-colons --fingerprint.

(The project I'm working on is a Jabber-oriented keyserver.  You query
the keyserver by subscribing to someone's key; when you manipulate a
trust item on a key you send an update to the Jabber server; the Jabber
server then propagates an updated key to all the subscribers.  It's a
semi-cute way of thinking about keyservers, may have some utility for
cryptographic IM.  This may explain some of my design goals, such as
scaling up to arbitrary sizes of keyrings.)

--
Robert J. Hansen <cortana at earthlink.net>