gpg2, gpgsm & pkcs15 compliant file system on smart card

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Apr 30 07:04:33 CEST 2004

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 19:48:09 +0200, *  said:

> gpg2 --card-status or
> gpg2 --card-edit or

gpg does not work with pkcs#15. gpg does only support the OpenPGP card
and for that OpenSC is only used as a driver for APDU I/O.  I have not
tested using OpenSC as a driver very much, so if you run into problems,
please use the native PC/SC support (put "disable-opensc" into
~/.gnupg/scdaemon.conf).

There might be problems using OpenSC with the latest 1.9.8 release too
(pthread vs. Pth usage).

> "GPGSM, the CMS (S/MIME) part of GnuPG, supports two kinds of smartcards.
> The most flexible way is to use PKCS#15 compliant cards ......"

This is gpgsm (CMS) but you tried to use gpg (OpenPGP).

Shalom-Salam,