HowTo Verify : PGP Mime Signature over Text AND Attachment (RFC2015)

Harakiri harakiri_23 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 9 07:35:39 CET 2004

Hello *,

the RFC 2015 does not clearly state what has to be
done
for messages with includes text AND an attachment for
signing.

For mime signing a text only, it is clear i have to
sign the content types and the data (text) itself.

However, what should i do if i want to mime sign text
+ attachment ? Or verify that ?

Enigmail is able to sign/verify mime with attachments,
but i dont quiet understand what they are
signing/verifying.

Example :

--------------enigD9298D14592C3F164E9C405E

--------------000403090109010305080707

test

--------------000403090109010305080707

data in txt file
--------------000403090109010305080707--

--------------enigD9298D14592C3F164E9C405E

Now, as you can see both (the text and the attachment)
is included within the mime part - rfc states that
mime signatures must have exactly 2 parts - the data
and the signature. This time the data is over 2 parts.

I tried verifying this data manually with gpg - with
no luck, i thought the data to be verified looked like
this :

test

data in txt file

But i always got bad signature, even if this would
work for txt attachments, what should i do for binary
attachments ? First convert from base64(or anything
else) to binary and than verify ?

Any ideas ? I understand the structure of mime
signatures, but only for messages with no attachments.

Thanks