[BUG] libassuan's (HEAD) assuan-domain-connect.c fails on systems with 4.3BSD sockets

Nicholas Wourms nwourms at netscape.net
Wed Feb 25 18:10:19 CET 2004

wk wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 10:47:03 -0500, Nicholas Wourms said:
>

>>[I tried filing this on gnupg's gnats, but everytime I hit submit, it
>>gave me a "malformed multipart POST"]
>

> Hmm, Mozilla works fine for me.

I was using Konqueror on my linux box at that time.

>>SYSTEM:
>>CYGWIN_NT-5.0 1.5.8(0.116/4/2) 2004-02-19 18:59 i686 unknown unknown Cygwin
>

> It is unlilely that we are going to support Cygwin in the near future.

Well, I'll see if I can help out.  I'm not very experienced at socket
programming, but I'll give it a shot.

>>fully compatible with the newer versions since:
>>A)It lacks the msg_flags member
>>B)The msg_control & msg_controllen members are called msg_accrights &
>>   msg_accrightslen
>

> I expected that because Stevens explains these things in details.  Our
> primary goal is to support Free OSes, thus we don't care about other

I might point out that older NetBSDs (the free ones) also have this problem.

> systems for now.  There are also a couple of other things which won't
> work (e.g. the lack of funopen(3)).

Actually, I've added funopen to our libc, just haven't had a chance to
commit it to cvs.  So this one problem is the only barrier preventing me
from getting it fully operational.  In the mean time I reverted
assuan-domain-connect.c back to 1.2 and added the modifications to the
fdread/fdwrite functions as demonstrated by Steven's examples.  Without
having to compile gpg, which might introduce its own problems, do you
have any libassuan-specific tests so I can verify if it works?

>>Since libassuan will become a requirement in future versions of gnupg,
>>I think it would be worthwile to fix this.
>

> We will keep gnupg 1.x alive for all platforms currently supported;
> those system will then only miss the new S/MIME and gpg-agent
> features.

Hmm, well again, I'll crack open my books and see if I can't get it
working on my own.  Thanks anyhow :-).

Cheers,
Nicholas