[BUG] libassuan's (HEAD) assuan-domain-connect.c fails on systems with 4.3BSD sockets

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Feb 26 18:40:29 CET 2004

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 18:10:19 -0500, Nicholas Wourms said:

>>> CYGWIN_NT-5.0 1.5.8(0.116/4/2) 2004-02-19 18:59 i686 unknown unknown Cygwin
>> It is unlilely that we are going to support Cygwin in the near
>> future.

> Well, I'll see if I can help out.  I'm not very experienced at socket
> programming, but I'll give it a shot.

The reason, why I wrote the above is my experience with Cygwin32 from
a couple of years back.  GPGME is heavily using pipes for IPC and I
recall to had problems creating more than 5 or so pipes within the
cygwin32 environment.  Other than that Cygwin is pretty much POSIX and
thus it should pe possible to run gnupg 2 on it.

> I might point out that older NetBSDs (the free ones) also have this problem.

I see.

> Actually, I've added funopen to our libc, just haven't had a chance to
> commit it to cvs.  So this one problem is the only barrier preventing

You mean to cygwin?  That's great.

I have a hack in mind to implement funopen on other systems using
a pipe and a separate thread.  But well, there are other things to do
right now.

> do you have any libassuan-specific tests so I can verify if it works?

There used to be a small test program somewhere but I can't find it
right now.  You may want to enhance the gnupg/tests/asschk.c utility.

Werner Koch                                      <wk at gnupg.org>
The GnuPG Experts                                http://g10code.com
Free Software Foundation Europe                  http://fsfeurope.org