multiple file signing oddness

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Jul 2 20:35:17 CEST 2004

On Sun, 23 May 2004 17:53:29 +0100 (BST), Nicholas Cole said:

> in which order the files were signed, am I?  In that
> case should gpg 'search' for an order in which the
> files verify, or would that add too much overhead?

Yes, this is too much overhead becuase we need to hash all files two
times.  That is not reasonable for large files.

I agree that this cat feature in gnupg was a bad design because
/bin/cat is theexpert in doing this kind of stuff.  Given that this is
the first bug reported related to the feature, I doubt that it is in
wide use and it is a proper solution to fix it in 1.3.  It would be
even better to drop it entirely; but I guess it is too late for this.

Salam-Shalom,