[FEATURE REQ, RFC], improving ergonomic HMI fingerprint cross verification

Atom 'Smasher' atom at suspicious.org
Fri Jul 23 21:38:05 CEST 2004

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, David Champion wrote:

> This is very cute, and there's nothing wrong with it -- I rather like
> the idea -- but it's not a general solution. It belongs in a front-end,
> not in the core tool.
==========================

exactly.

of course no single thing can solve all problems, but this seems like a
great solution to a particular problem. the fact that it might *only* help
95% of the people who want to make use of it doesn't make it a bad idea...
as long as it's meant to compliment the current system, not supersede it
(and i don't hear any calls for throwing away the current system).

the issues become standardizing colors and sizes... it would be great to
hold two pieces of paper next to each other and (if the squares are the
same size) identify almost immediately if it's a match or not.

with only 16 colors, it allows for error in color accuracy of displays,
printers, etc.

an observation... here in the states a standard business card is 2 x 3.5
inches (are they 50 x 90 mm in the civilized world?)... an SHA-1 hash
produces 40 characters (16^40)... if the whole width of the bottom (or
top) of a business card displayed this "rainbow code" then each character
could be represented by a 2.25 mm square (or a bar that's 2.25 mm wide).

if used in a front-end, it would be great to have an option to resize that
part of the display so a card can be held to the monitor and the sizes
match.

  	...atom

  PGP key - http://atom.smasher.org/pgp.txt
  762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

 	"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any
 	 government has is the power to crack down on criminals.
 	 Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them.
 	 One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes
 	 impossible to live without breaking laws."
 		-- Ayn Rand, 'Atlas Shrugged'