gpg question

Jerry Windrel jerry.windrel at verizon.net
Mon Jun 21 14:49:20 CEST 2004

I think you have to put the passphrase in a file and pass it into gpg
through the file descriptor number (not the file name).  This is for
security reasons.  Command lines are sometimes logged and also often visible
by non-priveleged users (through the "ps" command for example), so it's bad
to put passphrases in them.

Some people have suggested that if you have a need to store a pass phrase
for a script, you should just delete the pass phrase from the private key
and rely solely on the security of the file containing the private key,
since the pass phrase in that case is just causing extra complexity without
adding any extra security.