Aw: Re: OpenPGP SMTP headers

Holger Sesterhenn Holger.Sesterhenn at smgwtest.aachen.utimaco.de
Tue May 25 08:49:27 CEST 2004

Hi,

> I experimented with selecting less and less
> of the message, and I found it would verify even if I just select from the
> beginning of the headers of the multipart/signed compound message to the

There are two things to mention:

First, David uses PGP/MIME (RFC 3156) instead of the old (but most
widespread) PGP/INLINE signatures (CLASSIC). All known OpenPGP plugins
for OE just support the latter. Even the original PGP 8.x.

Second, the mailing list software creates an envelope around the
PGP/MIME message so it looks like "multipart/mixed" instead of
"multipart/signed". There are some OpenPGP clients (like Enigmail) which
try to detect this but its just experimental.

I wouldn't call it a bug in the mailing list software ;-)

--
Best Regards,

Holger Sesterhenn
---