Setting user personal prefs

Stéphane Corthésy stephane at sente.ch
Thu Jan 27 09:14:03 CET 2005

Hi,

Since gpg 1.4, user can set some prefs on his keys: algos, keyserver.
(it would be nice to be able to get that information with gpgme).

Wouldn't it be nice if user could also add some new user-defined prefs
to his key/userIDs? For example,  related to mail, "accepts PGP/MIME",
"Always PGP/MIME", "Always encrypted", etc.

We could define well-known extensions to the prefs, having a name
("x-Mail-MIME", "x-Mail-Encryption", etc.) and a value. That would
allow MUAs to be smarter, in that case: after they fetched all pubkeys
in user keyring, when a user composes a new message, message PGP
settings could be set by default according to recipients preferred
settings.

Just a thought,

Stéphane

P.-S.
I got no feedback on bug(?) reported on this list on Jan 21st.