BZip2 sources and GnuPG tarball

Carlo Luciano Bianco clbianco at tiscalinet.it
Wed Jun 22 11:59:39 CEST 2005

Il /21 giu 2005/, *David Shaw* ha scritto:

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 01:22:02AM +0200, Carlo Luciano Bianco wrote:
>> I was just wondering why BZip2 sources are not (yet?) inserted into the
>> GnuPG tarball like zlib, gettext, regexp, etc.
>>
>> Is such inclusion planned, or are there some technical (or maybe legal)
>> reasons preventing to do so?
>
> It is not planned.

OK, perfect... ;-)

> GnuPG can make use of many libraries, such as
> libcurl, libusb, libreadline, and yes, libbz2.  It is just not
> possible for GnuPG to include all of them - it defeats the point of
> libraries.  The included copies would inevitably fall out of date,
> they would have to be actively watched for new versions of security
> updates, and so on.

I fully agree with your point. That's why on my page I focus on using
external libraries to build GnuPG, even in the case of zlib and libintl.

> GnuPG does include the zip library, since it is nearly impossible to
> interoperate between PGP and GnuPG without it, but that's a special
> case.  Best to keep such special cases to a minimum.

Again, I fully agree. I will then have to add to my page the instructions on
how to download and build libbz2, if the compatibility problems with the pre-
built files on GnuWin32 page will not be solved soon...

Thank you (and of course Timo and Werner) for the replies!

Carlo Luciano

--
| Carlo Luciano Bianco | ICQ UIN: 109517158                              |
|______________________| Home page: <http://clbianco.altervista.org/>    |