registry entry for internationalization

Bruno Haible bruno at clisp.org
Wed Mar 16 21:31:33 CET 2005

Greetings,

This piece of NEWS from the gnupg-1.4.1 announcement is puzzling me:

> * [W32] The locale selection under Windows changed. You need to
>   enter the locale in the registry at HKCU\Software\GNU\GnuPG:Lang.
>   For German you would use "de".  If it is not set, GnuPG falls
>   back to HKLM.  The languages files "*.mo" are expected in a
>   directory named "gnupg.nls" below the installation directory;
>   that directory must be stored in the registry at the same key as
>   above with the name "Install Directory".

Will gpg, on a Windows system where the user's regional settings are German,
use the German language even if the HKCU\Software\GNU\GnuPG:Lang value is
not set?

Do you expect users to set their preferred language once for every program?
If no, what is special about GPG that warrants a particular intervention
of the user for this program?

GNU gettext uses the Woe32 API call GetThreadLocale(). Do you see anything
wrong with that?

gnupg-1.4.1/util/simple-gettext.c implements special i18n support for Woe32
systems only. Whereas on Linux, gpg uses the gettext() and related functions
from libc. Is there something which makes the GNU libintl library unsuitable
for use on Woe32 systems? (I assume you would link statically with it and
with GNU libiconv. It's not worth going into DLL hassles because of it.)

Bruno