Testing the new http code in 1.4.1

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Fri Mar 18 16:46:27 CET 2005

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 03:55:25PM +0100, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> David Shaw <dshaw at jabberwocky.com> writes:
>
> > 1) Build with the configure option --with-libcurl.  If you have
> >    libcurl installed, you should end up with a new program
> >    'gpgkeys_curl', that supports HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, and FTPS.  If you
> >    don't have libcurl installed, nothing should happen.
>
> CURL might be a good way to get DNS keyserver support into GPG.
> Simply add DNS functionality to CURL, according to my DNS URI spec:
>
> http://josefsson.org/dns-url/
>
> And then it would work automatically.  Or?  Are the protocols that is
> supported via CURL in GPG hard coded?  I note that CURL support many
> other protocols too.  I would assume the situation is similar with
> them.  What I'm asking is: is it possible to retrieve OpenPGP keys
> from, say, LDAP servers through the CURL support in GPG now?

That's a very good idea.  The CURL support in GPG is fairly generic,
so it should indeed work.  We would just need to add "dns" to the list
of protocols that GPG passes to gpgkeys_curl.  CURL would take care of
the rest.

LDAP-via-CURL would work as well for getting keys, but LDAP is
somewhat special where OpenPGP is concerned.  CURL supports fetching a
LDAP URI (a la RFC 2255), but gpgkeys_ldap does a few more things like
sending keys to the keyserver, searching for keys, etc.

David