Strange behaviour with different OpenPGP cards

Matthias Kirschner mk at fsfe.org
Tue May 17 15:51:27 CEST 2005

* Georg C. F. Greve <greve at fsfeurope.org> [2005-05-17 10:33:46 +0200]:

> What does --card-edit say?

The new key is on the card. I can also use the card to sign files, but
not de- and encrypt files.

>  mk>     - But I am not able to de/encrypt files, it always ends in:
>
>  mk>         PIN
>  mk>         gpg: ccid_transceive failed: (0x1000a)
>  mk>         gpg: apdu_send_simple(0) failed: card I/O error
>
> Are you using the pcscd?

No, this was all without pcscd.

> When using the pcscd, I can decrypt files and mail without problem.

I have now installed pcscd, the result is, that I am still not able to
de and encrpyt (but I can sign).

    ngpg at woodstock:~$ gpg --disable-ccid test.gpg
    gpg: pcsc_establish_context failed: no service (0x8010001d)
    gpg: card reader not available
    gpg: encrypted with 1024-bit RSA key, ID CF4806D3, created 2005-05-16
          "Matthias Kirschner (test card user) <ngpg at mbwg.de>"
          gpg: public key decryption failed: general error
          gpg: decryption failed: secret key not available

I have installed all packages which depends on pcscd. Do I have to do
anything else?

With best wishes,
Matze

--