What i need to use my usb-tokens with gnupg?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Nov 9 20:56:02 CET 2005

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 15:27:05 +0100, zvrba  said:

> it seems that your devices don't support PKCS#15. So I'd say - forget it.

Not really.  Although gpg does not make use of cards other than those
of the OpenPGP card specs, its cousin gpgsm can make use of several
cards.  It is actually not the type of the card but the application
available on the card, pkcs#15 is such an application, OpenPGP is one,
DINSIG is one, NKS is the one used by Telesec. It is pretty easy to
add a new application.  The hard part is to get the specs from the
card application vendor.

Aside of gpgsm, you may also use gpg-agent to support ssh with cards.
It is pretty straightforward to implement this if you have basic
support for your cards application.  See app-p15.c (and there look for
subtype BELPIC) and app-openpgp.c to see what is needed.  If you have
problems, just ask here.

Salam-Shalom,