OpenPGG Card

Benjamin Donnachie benjamin at pythagoras.no-ip.org
Fri Sep 2 13:47:36 CEST 2005

Alon Bar-Lev <alon.barlev at gmail.com> wrote:
>I think that gpg should support PKCS#11 interface for smartcards, so
>that it can be used with all smartcards that support this standard.

I've had a quick look at the PKCS#11 and I think that you may have a point!

>I don't understand why gpg developers choose to implement their own
>smartcard standard...

Nor me - the OpenPGP card seems to be anything but open to me!

>The most reasonable claim I've got was the licensing issue... But nobody
>succeeded in proving that there is a licensing problem.

I think MUSCLE (Movement for the Use of SmartCards in a Linux Environment
http://www.linuxnet.com) uses PKCS - I could be wrong though, I need to read
through it in more detail.

>You can look for messages with "PKCS#11 support for gpg-agent" subject
>for future information at gnupg-users.

I saw that...  Perhaps we should "fork" GPG and work on a PKCS#11 compliant
version...  I'm fairly new to smartcards, but I have a fair bit of other
programming experience...
I don't think it would be too difficult to implement with the libraries that
are available once I
get hold of a suitable card...

--
Benjamin