Better proxy support available via libcurl?

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Wed Aug 2 21:08:08 CEST 2006

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 07:32:10PM +0200, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Wed,  2 Aug 2006 14:17, David Shaw said:

> > OpenSSL libcurl, and even then the restriction depends on whether
> > OpenSSL is considered part of the OS or not.
>
> OpenSSL is clearly not part of the OS (at least for almost all
> GNU/Linux systems).

I don't know that this is true.  Different people hold different
opinions about this.  Clearly Debian has made a statement that they do
not consider OpenSSL part of the OS, but there are other cases that
are not as clear cut.  My point is not to argue whether OpenSSL can be
part of the OS or not.  My point is that I don't think we in the GPG
world get a vote on this: it's not our OS and so not our decision to
make.

> > OSX decided it that it was.  Either way the OS goes, it's not
> > something we can reasonably answer within GPG.
>
> I will raise this point at the GNU maintainers list and report back
> then.
>
> > The packager of the binary has many choices: they can build with
> > OpenSSL+libcurl, they can build with GnuTLS+libcurl, they can build
> > with plain libcurl, or they can build without libcurl at all.  We've
>
> It is not easy to do.  For example with current Debian you may either
> install the gnutls or the openssl based version of cURL.

I'd think that makes it easier (at least on the context of GPG).  The
GPG keyserver code doesn't do anything strange or unusual with its SSL
support, and so will work equally well with OpenSSL or GnuTLS.  All
the SSL functionality is hidden behind the libcurl API.

David