Possible license violation

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Tue Dec 12 05:42:03 CET 2006

Joe Smith wrote:
> Theya re offering both from the same loaction (The sourceforge download
> network) so they are complying with the GPL.

I'm not certain this argument holds water.  Let's say they had a
publicly accessible link to sf.net, but one which had no links going to
it, so it was impossible to navigate to; the only way to get the source
would be to have prior knowledge of this secret link.  Would that be
considered GPL-compliant?

To my understanding, the GPL requires that you inform people source is
available.  I do not see any such notice on the PortableApps site.

In the grand scheme of things this is a very minor violation, of course.
 But still, it's the principle of the thing.