Proxy problems

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Wed Dec 13 17:42:17 CET 2006

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 04:09:52PM +0100, Werner Koch wrote:

> I assume that the original hkp keyserver required a shutdown because
> it implemented only pre HTTP 1.0 and failed to take the empty line
> after the headers of a GET as the end of a request.  We used to have
> an option to suppress the shutdown:
>
> # If you have problems connecting to a HKP server through a buggy http
> # proxy, you can use keyserver option broken-http-proxy (see below),
> # but first you should make sure that you have read the man page
> # regarding proxies (keyserver option honor-http-proxy)
>
> David, you remember why we dropped it?

The real curl code clearly didn't use shutdown, and worked correctly
with all the servers, so I dropped broken-http-proxy when I did the
curl-shim.  Unfortunately, I missed that the code defaults to use
shutdown.

I can see how this might have been necessary with old HKP servers in
the past, but they don't really exist any longer.  There certainly are
no original PKS servers left at this point.  The few (one?) that are
left are running the fixed PKS I made to not eat subkeys.  That PKS
also properly handles HTTP/1.0 requests with the blank line.

I think the right fix here is to either hardwire HTTP_FLAG_NO_SHUTDOWN
to on in curl-shim, or just remove the shutdown stuff altogether.

David