Decrypt error: "gpg: block_filter: 1st length byte missing"

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Thu Jan 19 21:10:58 CET 2006

On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 10:11:23AM -0500, Alan Watt wrote:
> In the past I have run into this error when the encrypted file
> contained extra NUL characters at the end, due to incorrect FTP
> record size parameters when passing through a mainframe system, but
> these files do not appear to have that problem.

Another way FTP can mangle things is the files being sent in ASCII
rather than binary mode.  FTP will try and do line ending conversion
and break things.

Alternately, you might try asking your sending partners to send
ASCII-armored (--armor) messages which are mostly immune to this sort
of transport mangling.

David