mpi larger than indicated length

Torsten Curdt tcurdt at vafer.org
Sat May 6 20:40:15 CEST 2006

Hey guys,

Could some tell me the story of this problem in a bit more detail?

When I do a 'gpg ---fingerprint' or try to list the keys I get a few
keys and then an error message:

 gpg: mpi larger than indicated length (2 bytes)
 gpg: keyring_get_keyblock: read error: invalid packet
 gpg: keydb_get_keyblock failed: invalid keyring

So I had a browse and I saw a few people having the same problem. IIUC
what it means is that there are some key packages broken in my
keyring. So now I have a couple of questions:

1. Is this fixed in CVS already? (I believe I read something like that)
2. Will that help to at least recover part of my keyring (by ignoring
the broken packages)?
3. How could that happen at all? I did not do anything nasty to my keyring
4. Is there any way I could my keyring ...because atm I cannot use my
gnupg at all.

I am using gnupg 1.4.2.2 via fink on latest 10.4

Would be great if someone could provide me with enough information to fix this.

cheers
--
Torsten