GnuPG 1.9.23 released

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Sep 25 12:36:09 CEST 2006

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 15:15, Georg C. F. Greve said:

> I wonder: could it ever become possible to build a "downsized" version
> for specific purposes and limited dependencies from the gnupg2 branch?

No.

> That might make maintenance of 1.4 unnecessary in the long run.

We will keep 1.4 and maybe even come up with 1.6 at some point. The
reasons:

 * It is designed with no external build dependecies.  Just configure
   and make and you end up with a usable OpenPGP implementation.  This
   is not the case for 2.0.

 * GnuPG 1.4 is more portable that 2.0.  It runs on may different OSes
   many of them predating the POSIX specs.  We simply can't make GnuPG
   2 run on them.

 * It is smaller and thus suitable for embedded or old platforms.

Shalom-Salam,