Feature request: --creation-date option

Christian Danner gnupg-devel_list at danner-net.de
Wed Jan 31 14:04:03 CET 2007

Hello Werner,

on Tue, 30 Jan 2007 21:42:16 +0100, Werner Koch wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 16:40, gnupg-devel_list at danner-net.de said:
>
>> Hope you consider 1.4 as well? I see no chance to migrate to 2.0 as my
>
>Yes.

Glad to hear.

>> project requires optional IDEA support. :-(
>
>It is a shame that Mixmaster is still based on an aged and patented
>algorithm.

Mixmaster can do without it. It's more about the ancient cypherpunk
part used for nym reply messages, especially the 'Esub' directive,
where currently there's no way around IDEA. 'Encrypt-Key' (IDEA) can
be avoided, as there are the alternatives 'Encrypt-CAST' and
'Encrypt-3DES.

But look at other well-known projects like Tor. AFAICS it's still
accompanied by OpenSSL DLLs with built-in IDEA support, though IMHO
there's no need to do so and it would be no problem to compile them
without.

>Even worse, Mixmaster is still non Free Software.  I really wonder how
>long it will take until the Debian folks eventually remove it from
>main to bring some momentum in the development of a free
>implementation.

As long as anon remailing doesn't attract attention I'm sceptical
about that.

>  Mixminion is not a suitable drop in replacement.

It's still in an early stage of development with nym support not
implemented yet. Within a few years we'll know. ;-)

Kind regards

Christian
--
OmniMix .. protect your privacy