ftp.gnupg.org seems to cause problems with Checkpoint firewall1 and Cisco CSS

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Mar 23 19:21:03 CET 2007

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 12:51, chris.pitchford at newsint.co.uk said:

> in the control connection at a really unhelpful point. It sends the
> response line in one packet, then sends line terminating CR, LF in a new
> packet of its own.

Right, that is how oftpd does it.

> I can't find any evidence in the FTP RFC that states that the CR,LF
> needs to be sent in a single packet, but I also cannot find any other
> FTP server exhibiting this strange behaviour. It is certainly a waste to
> send two packets when one would suffice!

No, an RFC can never tell this because we are working on the TCP layer
and here we have a data stream and don't know about the underlying
packet structure.

Anyway I changed it so that the CRLF is merged with the line beore
write() is called.  It should now work for you.  However this is not
bulletproof because on systems where the internal buffering is
shorther than a line if might still get send as two packets.

See

http://cvs.gnupg.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/oftpd/src/telnet_session.c?rev=1.4&root=wk%27s+Stuff&view=auto

for the changed file (telnet_session_println).

Salam-Shalom,