UID ordering

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Thu May 3 08:01:01 CEST 2007

David Shaw wrote:

> No.  Like I said, there is a signature subpacket that tags the UID as
> the primary one.  If you don't tag any UID, then GnuPG will sort the
> most recent one first, but that doesn't make it primary.
>
>> Also, if it's just a flag that says "this one is
>> primary", what happens if different UIDs are set as primary on different
>> keyrings, and then they're merged?
>
> The most recent of the UIDs tagged as primary will be treated as the
> "true" primary.

Hate to revive this old thread, but:
So does gpg create UIDs marked as primary by default?  It seems that it
does, since if I generate a new key, and then add a UID, the new UID is
marked as primary.

Or is it that no key is marked as primary by default, and if no key is
marked as primary then the most recent self-sig is considered primary?

-Alex Mauer "hawke"