[svn] GnuPG - r4817 - trunk

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Aug 27 15:55:23 CEST 2008

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 07:58, cvs at cvs.gnupg.org said:

> * configure.ac: Darwin's /bin/sh has a builtin echo that doesn't
> understand '-n'.  Use tr to trim the carriage return instead.

David, it seems that you are using Darwin as the development platform.
Although GnuPG should be buildable on any POSIX alike system, I doubt
that we should start to fix all the small glitches that Apple introduced
in their OS again.  In particular not the maintainer versions; running
autoconf is maintainer task and not needed on supported platforms.

In this particular case we may better replace echo(1) by printf(1) as
suggested by POSIX to overcome the problems with echo(1).  Does Darwin
feature a printf(1) as required by POSIX 2001?

The

  m4_esyscmd([echo $( (svn info 2>/dev/null || echo 'Revision: 0') \
              | sed -n '/^Revision:/ s/[^0-9]//gp'|head -1)| tr -d '\n'])

could thus be replaced by

  m4_esyscmd([printf "%d" $(svn info 2>/dev/null \
              | sed -n '/^Revision:/ s/[^0-9]//gp'|head -1)])

Note that we do not need the "echo 'Revision: 0'" anymore because a

  printf "%d"

implicily adds a 0 to its argument list.

What do you think?

Linux-Kongress 2008 + Hamburg + October 7-10 + www.linux-kongress.org