gnupg: with-colons option breaks encoding

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Jun 13 18:16:22 CEST 2008

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 14:26, petr.uzel at suse.cz said:

> I suggest to fix this by using 'print_utf8_string2()' instead of simple 'print_string()' in 'list_keyblock_colon()'. (Hope this description is not considered a patch ;) )

The options --with-colons is supposed to print utf-8 which is the native
format of OpenPGP.  Thus print_string is correct.  print_utf8_string
would convert it first to the native encoding which is wrong.

What you see is C-style quoting:

  10. Field:  User-ID.  The value is quoted like a C string to avoid
	      control characters (the colon is quoted "\x3a").
              This is not used with --fixed-list-mode in gpg.
              [...]

Note that the last sentence is plainly wrong.  I don't know why it was
there.

The quoting is also done for the Latin-1 high control characters (*p >=
0x7f && *p < 0xa0), thus you see only parts of an utf-8 character
quoted.  The dequoting has to be done anyway thus I do not care to much
about this.

Salam-Shalom,