Please test :)

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Mon Aug 24 03:46:33 CEST 2009

On Aug 17, 2009, at 6:24 AM, Werner Koch wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 20:27, dshaw at jabberwocky.com said:
>
>> Try not using the ~ in the file path. Rather, spell out the complete
>
> We should process the tilde.  We do this at all other places and it
> is a
> bit surprising that it does not work here.

I agree.

How should we handle this?  This raises a different question, as the
current tilde expansion code is in libutil, rather than libcompat,
which is what is linked with the keyserver helpers.  My notes say we
split libcompat and libutil in 2006 for licensing reasons, as the
keyserver helpers might be linked with OpenSSL, which is not GPL
compatible (hence the special exception in the keyserver helper
license).

Now, it would be possible to move the tilde expanding code to
libcompat (or even just implement things slightly differently), but I
notice that GnuPG 2.x doesn't do any of this stuff with a different
library, and just uses libcommon everywhere, including in the
keyserver helpers.

Is libcompat really necessary for GPL compliance?  If not, this is an
easier problem.  If it is necessary, we need to fix GnuPG 2.x.

David