GnuPG 2.0 for Win + Feature requests

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Fri Jun 19 19:21:47 CEST 2009

Michael Hansen wrote:
> Firstly: I am wondering, that there is still no compiled version (of
> the 2.0 series) for Windows. What's the reason?

There's no standalone installer, but GPG 2 is available as part of
gpg4win (http://www.gpg4win.org).

> 1. Support for secure wiping files

Not happening.  Look in the archives of this list for details.

> 2. A Steganography feature

(Probably) not happening.  Steganography is grossly overhyped as a
technology.  Moulin and O'Sullivan's _An Information-Theoretic Analysis
of Data Hiding_ (1999) was an attempt to put steganography on firm
mathematical foundations to make it a peer of cryptography; in the
course of this, they proved the Emperor had no clothes.

ObNote: I am not a GnuPG developer.  My 'not happening' is born of prior
remarks by the core developers, but I am neither speaking for the
developers nor claiming they can't change their minds.  :)