RSA+RSA is now the default

Nicholas Cole nicholas.cole at gmail.com
Mon May 25 18:46:11 CEST 2009

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 9:04 AM, Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 23 May 2009 21:51, nicholas.cole at gmail.com said:
>
>> Will the order of the add sub key menu of algorithms also change?
>
> Yes, I changed them so that they are imho grouped in a more logically
> way.

Could I therefore make a plea that the new order is clearly documented
in the Changelog? :-)

>> So, for example, there is no particular reason why the default answer
>> has to be number 1.
>
> I thought about this and came to the conclusion that it is better to use
> 1 for the default.  Despite that scripts should not use the menu to
> generate a key, I am pretty sure that there are some applications which
> do it nevertheless.  Using 1 for the default ensures that the new
> default is taken.

It's a small point and I don't mean to get side-tracked, but if any
front-ends have used this menu, I rather fear that you have replaced
one evil (not using the right default) with a worse one - presenting
one thing in the front end and doing another behind the scenes!

Best wishes,

Nicholas