Experimental Algorithms

Stefan Lorenz stefan.lorenz at stud.uni-saarland.de
Mon Sep 14 15:34:33 CEST 2009

Hi all,

we are working on experimental algorithms and tried to incorporate
different signing algorithms into gpg. We created a public key package,
set the algorithm field to 100 and put our data into the packet. This
worked fine, however, when we tried to import this key into our own
keyring, gpg says:

gpg: key 13D59A3E: no valid user IDs
gpg: this may be caused by a missing self-signature
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:           w/o user IDs: 1

We can force gpg to import it using the "allow-non-selfsigned-uid"
option, but then we can never export or sign this self-created public
key. So, as a next step we attached a UID packet to the public key
packet, and then attached a signature packet with signature type 0x10,
algorithm 100 for hash and pk, and an issuer signature sub packet with
the corresponding public keys keyID. Again, gpg -v --list-packets on our
packet doesn't complain and recognizes all the fields set correctly.

An import this time complains about the key algorithm 100 thats not
supported, thus skips the userID and then complains about a missing ID.

Our question is, is there a way to import "own" key-material (data) into
gpg thus that we can sign it using our standard gpg dsa key and export
it? Or is there a possibility to attach own key-material (data) to an
existing public or secret key?

Best,
Stefan