AGP on Android

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Mon Aug 16 21:20:45 CEST 2010

On 8/16/2010 12:59 PM, Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman wrote:
> Would you care to elaborate on that?

People play MP3s on their three-year-old smartphones and they don't want
to have to stop listening to their music just because they get an
encrypted email.  That means their 400MHz ARM processor is already
running close to 100% CPU usage between codecs and background apps.  Now
introduce CPU-intensive asymmetric crypto into the mix, and...

It is challenging to give users a satisfactory experience when (a) the
email has to decrypt and render in under a second, (b) you're not
allowed to make their MP3 playback skip, and (c) you're supporting
ridiculously large keysizes (4K RSA).  If you want all three of those,
your work's cut out for you.

In time, OpenPGP will come out with a mobile profile that's meant to
work better in these environments.  In time, people will also buy new,
more capable, smartphones.  The problems that I'm talking about are only
problems right now -- I don't want to give the impression they're permanent.