AGP on Android

Milo gnupg at oneiroi.net
Mon Aug 16 21:52:42 CEST 2010

Hello.

On 08/16/2010 09:20 PM, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> On 8/16/2010 12:59 PM, Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman wrote:
>> Would you care to elaborate on that?
>
> People play MP3s on their three-year-old smartphones and they don't want
> to have to stop listening to their music just because they get an
> encrypted email.  That means their 400MHz ARM processor is already
> running close to 100% CPU usage between codecs and background apps.  Now
> introduce CPU-intensive asymmetric crypto into the mix, and...
>
> It is challenging to give users a satisfactory experience when (a) the
> email has to decrypt and render in under a second, (b) you're not
> allowed to make their MP3 playback skip, and (c) you're supporting
> ridiculously large keysizes (4K RSA).  If you want all three of those,
> your work's cut out for you.
>
> In time, OpenPGP will come out with a mobile profile that's meant to
> work better in these environments.  In time, people will also buy new,
> more capable, smartphones.  The problems that I'm talking about are only
> problems right now -- I don't want to give the impression they're permanent.

I think that your impression is outdated. HTC G1 (almost three year old
phone) - when talking about raw CPU power - is as capable as Pentium
III/550 or almost as old iBook's PPC G4 (and these aren't performing
that poor you know). What's more it has cute DSP capability which can be
used in audio processing (for example) with far better results then
non-specialized chip. You missed that right now probably most of
smartphones are armed with asymmetric crypto software. Examples? TLS/SSL
when sending/getting emails or just surfing some parts of the web...

No conclusion needed here, right?

--
Regards,
Milo