gpg --list-config change ahead

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Dec 15 10:18:31 CET 2010

Am Donnerstag, 2. Dezember 2010 18:25:04 schrieb Werner Koch:
> On Thu,  2 Dec 2010 17:16, dshaw at jabberwocky.com said:
> > That is, list both AES and AES128.  After all, they are both valid cipher
> > names - they just happen to be the same cipher.  A front-end that just
> > uses this list of strings as possible ciphers would automatically do the
> > right thing here (albeit having two cipher names that do the same thing).
>
> I was pondering this too.  It might however also raise user questions.
> Tools should be safe, though.

If one alias is listed, all aliases should be listed.
If we list the aliases,
ideally they would be marked as aliases for the primary name.

So right now, I'd say that AES128 should only be listed as new primary name
and the list should only have primary names.

> The other option is to keep using AES
> here and have tools using --list-config translate it to AES128 (or
> AES-128).

I'd rather do the change.

Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.