gpg --list-config change ahead

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Dec 2 18:25:04 CET 2010

On Thu,  2 Dec 2010 17:16, dshaw at jabberwocky.com said:

> That is, list both AES and AES128.  After all, they are both valid cipher names - they just happen to be the same cipher.  A front-end that just uses this list of strings as possible ciphers would automatically do the right thing here (albeit having two cipher names that do the same thing).

I was pondering this too.  It might however also raise user questions.
Tools should be safe, though.  The other option is to keep using AES
here and have tools using --list-config translate it to AES128 (or
AES-128).

OTOH, there are some changes in 2.1 where tools may run into problems as
well; for example the now ignored secring.gpg.  And more changes which,
in theory, are not user visible are too come soon.

Shalom-Salam,