Renaming AES to AES-128

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Nov 30 14:40:37 CET 2010

Am Montag, 29. November 2010 21:01:28 schrieb Werner Koch:
> Libgcrypt happily accepts AES-128 as an alias for AES.  However if we
> map the internal identifier back to a name we need to pich one and that
> happens to be "AES" for 9 years now.  Changing this is an ABI break and
> thus not justified.

Leaving the primary identifier like it was, is a source of confusion
which also has a cost. What is the cost and consequences of the ABI change?

We could keep "AES" as an alias for backwards compatibility and mark it as
deprecated so it will go away after X years. Could there be software that
would still stumble then?

Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.