authentication subkey

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Oct 21 11:24:13 CEST 2010

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 03:57, gniibe at fsij.org said:

> Then, I found that it is possible for GnuPG to generate authentication
> subkey with --expert option.  Does this mean using GnuPG for
> authentication is not that popular?

I don't know. If you use one of the OpenPGP smartcards the default is
to create a signing main key, an encryption subkey and an authentication
subkey.  Thus there should be some authentication subkeys out there.

Regarding ssh, there is no actual need for gpg.  You can use it but it
is not required because usually you import an existing ssh key into
gpg-agent.

Salam-Shalom,