Future for GnuPG 1.4.x for Windows

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Aug 19 08:52:49 CEST 2011

Am Sonntag, 7. August 2011 12:57:43 schrieb Martin Schoch:
> I am using GnuPG 1.4.11 on several Windows systems and I have now a
> question about future development of GnuPG:
>
> On the Website of GnuPG.org the link for binaries for Windows goes now
> to gpg4win Website.

Gpg4win contains the official binaries of GnuPG for windows.
I think 1.4.x will work, but I wouldn't recommend it in the general case.
The stable 2.0.x is much more suited for use on Windows operation systems.

> But I don't want to download the whole package gpg4win and I don't
> want to install gnupg 2.x.

During installation you can choose to only install a subset of what is within
the package.

Note that development of GnuPG for windows especially depends on funding,
which currently is lacking, so the future of any maintained GnuPG port for
windows is doubtful if this funding cannot be found.

Best Regards,
Bernhard

--
Managing Director + Owner: www.Intevation.net <- A Free Software Company
Kolabsys.com: Board Member          FSFE.org: Founding GA Member