Strange error message when running pinentry-gtk-2

Nico R. n-roeser at gmx.net
Fri Dec 2 10:05:30 CET 2011

Hello!

on one computer, I’m running a gpg-agent from gnupg-2.0.18 and
pinentry-gtk-2 from pinentry-0.8.1 under a Gentoo system.

A few minutes ago, I tried to add a new SSH key to gpg-agent’s store
using ssh-add. When the gpg-agent dialog opened, I typed a passphrase.
Then I was asked to confirm it in the next dialog. This did not work,
but I keep getting the following error message:

Ungültige Zeichen in der PIN! (Versuch -1955310293 von 1)

(I am using the de_DE.UTF-8 locale.)

This message seems to indicate a bug somewhere. Especially the negative
number.

The passphrase I used was:
1spontaneous vulcano eruption0

(So this passphrase contains invalid characters?)

Due to [0], I can’t try to track it down today, but I may have some more
spare time soon. Perhaps someone spots the problem earlier.

[0] http://ictf.cs.ucsb.edu/

Happy hacking
--
Nico