ECC code now in GnuPG master

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Feb 4 16:32:26 CET 2011

On Fri,  4 Feb 2011 11:45, squalyl at gmail.com said:
> the proliferation of curves is a barrier to interoperability,

Right.  It doesn't help if everyone uses custom curves but most won't be
able to encrypt messages to that key.  There is also the question of
parameter validation.

I guess we will add a few more curves if there is a real demand for it,
but this should be limited to what is really needed.  Frankly, I was one
of those who favored an OID approach instead of just a simple number to
describe the curve.  This is the OpenPGP feature which allows us to
extend ECC.  It is more like all the algorithm ids we have, we need to
limit them and add a new algorithm only for a real (political) reason,
like Camellia.

Salam-Shalom,