Error when generating ECC keys

Alphazo alphazo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 22:08:08 CET 2011

I have compiled and installed gpg2 and libgcrypt from git but I get an error
when generating ECC keys:

# gpg2 --version
gpg (GnuPG) 2.1.0-gitcfbb576
libgcrypt 1.5.0-git4f04851
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

Home: ~/.gnupg
Supported algorithms:
Pubkey: RSA, ELG, DSA, ECDH, ECDSA
Cipher: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES128, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH, CAMELLIA128,

        CAMELLIA192, CAMELLIA256
Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB, BZIP2

Here is what I get when I use gen-key:

# gpg2 --expert --gen-key --debug 15
gpg: reading options from `/home/alpha/.gnupg/gpg.conf'
gpg: enabled debug flags: packet mpi cipher filter
Please select what kind of key you want:
   (1) RSA and RSA (default)
   (2) DSA and Elgamal
   (3) DSA (sign only)
   (4) RSA (sign only)
   (7) DSA (set your own capabilities)
   (8) RSA (set your own capabilities)
   (9) ECDSA and ECDH
  (10) ECDSA (sign only)
  (11) ECDSA (set your own capabilities)
Your selection? 9
ECDSA keys may be between 256 and 521 bits long.
What keysize do you want? (256)
Requested keysize is 256 bits
ECDH keys may be between 256 and 521 bits long.
What keysize do you want for the subkey? (256)
Requested keysize is 256 bits
Please specify how long the key should be valid.
         0 = key does not expire
      <n>  = key expires in n days
      <n>w = key expires in n weeks
      <n>m = key expires in n months
      <n>y = key expires in n years
Key is valid for? (0)
Key does not expire at all
Is this correct? (y/N) y

GnuPG needs to construct a user ID to identify your key.

Real name: ecc man
Email address:
Comment:
You selected this USER-ID:
    "ecc man"

Change (N)ame, (C)omment, (E)mail or (O)kay/(Q)uit? o
We need to generate a lot of random bytes. It is a good idea to perform
some other action (type on the keyboard, move the mouse, utilize the
disks) during the prime generation; this gives the random number
generator a better chance to gain enough entropy.
gpg: Fatal: out of core while allocating 17591649173513 bytes