gpg-agent and launchd

Andreas Hindborg andreas at metaspace.dk
Mon Jun 6 14:44:57 CEST 2011

Hi Stéphane,

On 21/03/08 18.32, Stéphane Corthésy wrote:
> I modified gpg-agent 2.0.8 to add support for launchd: I had to modify
> only gpg-agent.c.
> I added a new command, --launchd, which is exclusive with --daemon and
> --server, and does currently the following:
> - it creates sockets, like in daemon mode
> - it does not fork - this is forbidden
> - it does not run any program on the command line - this is forbidden
> - it does not print the environment variables (though it might, maybe)
> - it passes back to launchd the environment variables; launchd will make
> all user processes inherit of these variables
> - it does not detach from tty (I don't know what this means and what are
> the consequences)
> - it doesn't chdir("/"), but the launchd plist sets the working dir to
> "/", so it should be equivalent
> - it removes the environment variables from launchd, when terminating
>
> Is there any interest here to review and maybe include that code
> (available on demand) into gpg-agent?

I have just begun to use gpg-agent on OS X, and I would also like to see
gpg-agent managed by launchd. It has been 3 years since your post. Do
you still have the changes? I would like to see a patch. I am using
gpg-agent from macports. Perhaps we can create a patch that can be
enabled as a variant in the portfile?

Best regards,
Andreas