pinentry suggestion

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed May 18 18:19:43 CEST 2011

On Tue, 17 May 2011 22:54, john.wyzer at gmx.de said:

> It would be very helpful to include a very dumbed down call trace listing the
> programs that lead to the passphrase being required.
>
> Does that sound sensible?

Kind of.  I run a uucp job over ssh and thus a pinentry pops up every
now and then.  On rare occasions I was testing some stuff and not sure
whether the popped up pinentry was due to the cron job or due to my
testing.

A call trace is not what I ciew as usefull.  However a title bar with
the name of the program responsible for popping up the pinentry may be
useful and won't harm.  It is merely a convenience thing and in no way a
security featre.  I'd like to have something like this.

We could implement that by overloading our PINENTRY_LAUNCHED
notification which goes back all the way to gpgme.  But that is not a
clea solution.  What I have in mind is a feature I would call
session-title: It will be implemented as an optional Assuan command to
finally set a session title for an gpg-agent connection.  If gpg-agent
knows a session-title it can inform pinentry about it and pinentry may
use it.  Implementing this is pretty easy; however we need to add a new
function to gpgme.

Salam-Shalom,